7 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About English Bulldogs
Make no mistake, we love all breeds of dogs here at the Elite Bulldog kennel. But, as you can guess by our namesake, we have a special place in our hearts for the adorably wrinkled faces of English Bulldogs. It’s hard not to love this lovable breed! Here are a few fun facts about everyone’s favorite bully that you probably didn’t know!
1. The English Bulldog’s namesake is derived from the now-banned practice of “bull baiting”, a blood sport that featured a bulldog attempting bite down on a bull’s snout. The Bulldog’s wrinkled face and snubbed snout protected it from the bull’s horns, while its strong underbite and massive head allowed it to subdue the angry bull better than any other dog could. Bull baiting was eventually banned in England in 1835.
2. The ban on bull baiting left the English Bulldog without a job. Since the Bulldog was bred specifically for bull baiting, the poor guy started to die out until a few dedicated breeders decided to keep him around for the sake of pedigree. Thank goodness!
3. The English Bulldog is the 4th most popular breed in the US. And he has a few very famous owners including Reese Witherspoon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martha Stewart, Adam Sandler, Pink, and many more!
4. Keep them cool! English Bulldogs are so sensitive to heat that it’s encouraged that they stay out of temperatures as low as 75 degrees.
5. Don’t ever throw your bully in the pool! English Bulldogs are considered brachycephalic (large-skulled) dogs, which makes them ill-suited for water and in danger of drowning if they ever attempt to swim!
6. That same large head, while adorable, makes it difficult for the breed to be delivered naturally. 80 percent of English Bulldogs are delivered by C-Section.
7. English Bulldogs are popular mascots. 43 universities in the US have an English Bulldog as a mascot.
Can’t get enough of English Bulldogs? We have a number of English Bulldog puppies currently for sale! These furry babies are beyond cute and are ready for a loving forever home. Will you make one yours?